Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Out Damned Spot!

Spot Dessert Bar - Review
13 St. Marks Place, New York, NY 10003

Yesterday I went to Spot Dessert Bar to try their bubble tea. Spot is a small place tucked below St. Marks street level. They have a small bubble tea menu since their main focus is desserts. I haven't tried their desserts but they looked really good. Although I hear they are expensive.

I ordered: Thai tea bubble tea
(if you've never had Thai tea, TRY IT, it rocks)

  • Tea: very good, just like real Thai tea, not watered-down, not too sweet
  • Bubbles: perfect consistency, with a slightly sweet flavor
  • Price: super expensive imo, $4.75 + tax which comes out to over $5 for fairly simple bubble tea

The bubble tea was only 16oz (the grande size at Starbucks). For me the price of Spot's bubble tea is plain robbery. Especially since you can buy good quality canned Thai tea for less than $2 at a supermarket. 
Yes the quality of the bubble tea is good, but in comparison I can get the same size and quality Thai tea bubble tea from Bale in Hawaii for around $3.

I don't know if I would go back to try other flavors, the price is just too damn high!

My suggestion: If you're in the area and want bubble tea, skip Spot. Try Saint's Alp Teahouse (review forthcoming). More options, a little cheaper, and more seating.

2 out of 5 Bubbles

No comments: